Thursday, December 23, 2010

Kaena Point 12/23/10

me on top the last pillbox


Kaena Point is the westernmost point of the island of Oahu and is very sacred. It is believed that souls jump into the afterlife there.
We started real early because the heat is intense. I enjoyed this adventure because it was so beautiful. The views of both Waianae-side and Mokuleia-side, sightings of large scary birds (I watched the movie Birds, when I was a kid...), and pill boxes on the mountain side were well worth it.
Only thing I'll suggest is that if you go up to the pill boxes, stay on the trail because the whole mountain side is burial grounds and I'm pretty sure there used to be a big heiau(sacred place) as there are rock wall formations etc.. pretty spooky stuff.

view of the mountain we climbed

view of Waianae

pillboxes

pokai bay cheeee huuu

No comments:

Post a Comment